Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Friends

So I read an article (in a baby magazine) about the "5 Friends all moms need". I thought it was pretty interesting. The five different types were The Role Model- obviously someone you admire and want to be more like and has experience, the Twin- someone in your same circumstances that you can relate to (midnight feedings, tantrum stage, etc.), The Spur of the Moment Friend- someone who is willing and ready to go and do at any moment- especially when we just need to get out of the house and chat with an adult. The Rule Breaker- someone who doesn't live by the "how to correctly raise your children" book- definitely a good friend to have, makes you feel like you don't have to do everything by the book and your kid is going to be ok. And the Best Friend's Mom, the mom you end up connecting with and becoming great friends with through your children. There was also another needed friend- the childless one- this friend helps link you to your former life, gives you a break from 24/7 kid thinking and loves your kids without giving advice.
I hadn't thought of the importance of different types of friends before and how they can offer new insight and help in life. And although I don't think I "need" these exact 5 types of friends, I think that I really do need some and can be at least one of them to someone else. This also goes for regular life- with or without children. There is a purpose to friendship and you don't always have to have the "twin" friend to be happy, there are so many different people to connect with that can add substance, insight and joy to life. I LOVE FRIENDS!!!!

2 comments:

Whitney said...

I agree that you don't need all these different types of friends. I love having friends. They make life so much happier! I'm soo grateful for all my friends, old and new!

Kacie said...

Thanks for sharing that! It's good to have a variety of friends! Also, your advice on letting Brie cry in her crib to fall asleep is working! Yesterday it was soo hard, but so far today she's only cried for 10 minutes tops before falling asleep! Thanks so much!