Sunday, January 20, 2008

CPR

So a really scary thing happened this week. On Friday I was with my stroller class when a young woman was jogging by (not with my group) and collapsed. She was not breathing and had no pulse. Luckily a woman in our group was a nurse and she started CPR immediately. It took 10 min. for the fire department and paramedics to get there and she still had no heart beat. It then took them another 10 min. or more to finally get a heartbeat. She was transported to a hospital and is still in critical condition. The cardiologist that examined her said that the women that performed CPR saved her life. It was a very scary event, and a great eye opener. I witnessed CPR literally save a life. I have been certified in the past but am not currently, and this event has inspired me to get CPR certified again. This woman was in her early 20's, you never know when or where you might need to use it. Especially having young children I would hate to have something happen and not know what to do. I encourage everyone to brush up on or take a CPR course- you never know when or where you might need it.
Also, when the incident first happened 4or 5 moms were trying to call 911 on their cell phones and no one could get through. I was at an emergency preparedness meeting once and was told that it is very difficult to get through to 911 on a cell phone- if at all, and that we should program in our cell phone our local fire or police department number for emergency purposes. This was almost a year ago and I luckily had programed our local fire department in my phone. When no one could reach 911 I called it and got right through. Someone was able to talk to me about what was going on, tell me what we should be doing, and get firemen and paramedics to us. Everyone should have a fire or police number on their cell phones for emergencies.

3 comments:

RP said...

Wow! I will for sure be programming those numbers in my phone! Getting CPR certified is a great idea. You should also consider taking the class for babies/children too. It's a little different than the adult certification. You never know when you're going to need it. Thanks for the reminder.

Whitney said...

So scary! Thanks for the advice on putting the police and fire department #'s in our phones. I'll have to do that. We've been wanting to get certified for a while..I guess we better get on it!

Kacie said...

That is so scary! This story is a good reminder that we always need to be prepared for anything!