Tuesday, March 25, 2008

ANTS

So every March for some reason we get a few ants. Not swarms, just 4 here 2 there, all in the kitchen. It drives me crazy. I get the two on the shelf and a few minutes later I see two others crawling on the side of the cupboard. And have you ever really paid attention to them? Ants know how to hide when you're going to squish them, they know to stay hidden just long enough for you to be tired of waiting for them. They also play dead, I'm not kidding, I have seen quite a few lay there looking squished and dead only to pop back to life when they think I'm not looking. It's CRAZY! (Or maybe they're just making me crazy!) Anyways, so with little ones in the house I don't want to use poison in my house, so I read that they hate the smell of vinegar. So I wipe down the counter, cupboards, etc. with the stuff and it's true, they don't come back for a while- until it dries and the smell is gone. So, it keeps the whole ant farm from coming - but what about the annoying 2 or 3 roaming?! I finally read that if you leave little piles of corn meal out they will take them and they can't digest them, so it will kill them and they won't be back (takes about a week). So here I am 5 days into the corn meal experiment, so far no ants- I'm hoping this is it, then again it is almost April when they decide to leave every year anyways. Oh the woes such little bugs can cause!

7 comments:

Kacie said...

I was laughing sooo hard reading this! (about the ants playing dead) I heard about the cornmeal thing too. I'll have to try it out when ants start visiting my house! :)

Whitney said...

Who would've thought of Cornmeal?! That's hilarious! Hopefully it's done its job. I remember when we were living with mom and dad, we found a ton of ants in our room, and we couldn't find ant spray anywhere. I ended up just using windex- or maybe tilex? - anyways it did the job! Good luck with the ant woes.

Mom and Dad said...

We can beat you all. One morning dad put his pillows on the bed to block the light while he was getting ready for his Stake Presidency meetings. I kept feeling like my neck was itching and something was crawling on me! Low and behold, his pillows had ants on them that were attacking, yes, attacking me! It was awful! As soon as I was ready for the day I ran to Wal Mart and started an all out attack on the little buggers! Ugh....ants are a menace to society. We'll have to try the vinegar and cornmeal on them!

Kacie said...

That gives me the creeps! That's awful mom!

Mom and Dad said...

Actually, dad was getting ready to go exercise....amazing what pain meds do to the brain!

Kenna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kenna said...

So, did the whole ant thing really happen, then? I mean, can we trust your medicated stories??? : )